Friday, January 15, 2010

Just Smile

Living in Southern California, where the sun always shines, I am often shocked by how sour the people here can be. You smile at them here in San Diego County and they scowl back. Pick three people at a mall and smile at them and you will often get three dirty looks in response. Why? What does it cost to smile? If a stranger looks threatening, I can imagine a scowl might be a warning to back off. Otherwise, why not respond by smiling back. Recently, at a well known shop here in North County I smiled. Big mistake. Three dirty looks. I finally said to the third scowling woman, "Sorry I smiled. I didn't mean to offend you." And she suddenly became quite chatty.

Let's do ourselves a favor and smile. It feels good. It lifts your mood and helps others feel good, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment