Monday, January 10, 2011

On being a writer

It's 2011 and other than pushing my new mystery A CLAUSE FOR MURDER, I'm focusing on the next book in the Betsy Ross series. I often wonder what pushes me. Because coming up with a new and funnier novel, is a daunting task. Between structuring the novel, creating vivid characters, and making the words flow, there are the final rewrites.

All this before the real work begins. I mean the task of supporting a new book. Creating interest. Making sales.

We've reached a time in history where anything is possible. But it's hard to stand out from the pack. And with stores like Borders going under and new technology, it's a challenge to juggle so many roles. Because being a writer is a private, intimate matter. But standing up in front of people or creating a persona on the internet is another. Dual roles for a writer. And both of them are creative yet demanding.

I believe many writers out there feel this pressure. If you're one of them, I'd love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment